Thursday 31 July 2014

Happy food happy people: pick me ups, brain food and dessert wonder


If you are what you eat then I wanna be happy and eat happy darn it! I mean, isn't it everyone's ultimate goal just to be happy? So if food is the answer in just going by a formulae! If you're still reading thanks for indulging my gluttony fuelled babbling....it makes no sense but I hope you can relate to some degree! 

Whilst you still have a high tolerance for my senseless ranting can I just bring up the unfairness as it pertains to food having calories. It hurts my feelings when I think about it! Why must food have calories especially when it tastes good?! Says the girl who expertly piled on 30 pounds upon a doctor ordered exercise on account of costochondritis and Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome. 

Again I digress mightily! I came on here to talk about food that ranges from healthy to treats and cheats which can make for a happy existence.....at least they have done so for this foodie! 

Comfort food 


Night cap idea: 
Above is a picture of my chocolate chip cookies I had with milk and dipped in butterscotch because I felt especially invincible to the fattening tendencies of such food. Sugar is a key factor in this pick me up, short if being rocket fuel in this magnitude, it sufficed in cheering me and my friends up as we did milk shots, ate cookies and dipped them in butterscoth sauce! 

This wasn't my most aesthetically pleasing batch of cookies but it's all in the taste and moorishness which it had! The recipe is widely found for the cookies and the sauce though I used family favourites that I can't share! No big secret, I just haven't measured and exacted quanties as it's all by eye. So I present to you an idea! 


Momma's pick me up butternut squash soup! This goes down a treat during winter but if I happen to be unwell or under the weather during all the other seasons, it's top on my list of comfort foods! 

Here I served it hot with a spring onion and some fried brown batton croutons. This is also a family recipe but you can sure find variations online to be served the same way for the same purpose. This is a recipe passed down in the family and it cures everything! We should really bottle it and sell it to cure ailments....that's where the money's at! For now it stays in the family, giving out ailed a warm internal hug and a content stomach! 


Chinwag fuel 

A girlfriend paid me a surprise visit recently on a very low day which was the anniversary of a tragic day in my life. It was also intensified by the sudden death if a close family friend. No word of a lie, we hadn't spoken in a long time not is it her nature to show up and decide to treat me to a Thai lunch and a day out! If that's not a Godsend then I don't know what is! We lunched at Thai Square and I have mixed review for the place. 

I had tempura fried vegetables with a sweet chilli sauce and a salad. It was all good until I got a mouth full of paper like onion skin and it all went downhill! We obviously made a complaint which made for recieving evil looks from the staff as they nattered on in ther native language.

We eventually got the replacement and it tasted even better! 
The main dish went down swimmingly! I had red prawn curry with a coconut sauce and it was nothing short of the nectar from a Thai goddess' teet....sublime! My friend also enjoyed her beef stirfry. 

Despite the Thai whispers, evil looks and a mouth full of onion peel...it was one of the best lunch FOOD experiences I've had in a while. It also made for funny conversations during the lunch and we nattered away catching up and chuckling at the novelty ensuing before us. Needless to say I was happy! 

Brain food 

I need food to think, I need to think to write so writing snack are a must if not a basic human right. Ok maybe that's an exaggeration but a true grazer would give me resounding amend per syllable as I stress the importance of food as you wrote.  Pardon the bedding but I tend to write in bed so here goes a couple of pictures of the times I had brain food and remembered to take a picture before devouring it amid first paragraph. 


On this was day I was hungry but in a snacking mood so I assembled a mini buffet for my writing troubles. Pictures is a blueberry muffin (muffin top fuel,) grapes, an apple, a banana and the nectar of tropical gods....ginger beer. Hand on heart I believed I was so productive in this session because I enjoyed my writing food spread so much! 

This was on a rainy day and I had a ton of writing to do, both song and blogging. Being an early start I needed to work and have breakfast all the while in bed....because....well, I'm lazy.
I had vanilla yoghurt, redbush tea, a banana and homemade granola clusters. 

RECIPE ALERT!!!!!!!!
Homemade granola (better than store bought because you know what's in it!) 

50g butter 
50g brown sugar 
25g golden syrup 
100g muesli (add extra nuts and raisins)

Melt butter, sugar and syrup until it's dissolved and bubbling. Add muesli adding more till you get desired consistency where it's not too wet. Bake in a preheated oven on gas mark 6 for 20 minutes. Turn and scramble once during cooking process. 

20 minute masterpiece

This was the most fun, interactive, quick all the while big and beautiful desserts I've ever presented! 


I served this to my family when we had extended family over and there was a few of us here. My dad who is anti dessert even gave it a go and akin to squeezing water out of a rock...a complement ensued after seeing the spread and trying the pancakes. From left to right we have fanned strawberries, chocolate bar squares (great for texture,) warm toffee sauce, sliced banana, chantilly cream all to go with mini fluffy pancakes. 

TIME SAVING TIP: I made big fluffy pancakes and then cut them into smaller shapes with a cookie cutter. It proved quicker and gave me a more uniformed look when presenting the pancakes.  

FLUFFINESS TIP: let pancake batter sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, covered for it to settle and accumulate bubbles withing the batter. Some people even leave them overnight! 

Recipe: 
300g  self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
500ml milk
2 eggs
60g butter, melted
20g sugar

Mix everything together except for butter and whisk batter. Let it rest for 30 minutes covered, in the fridge. 

Melt butter and add to batter. Heat up a no stick pan on medium heat. Whisk batter some more and pour batter for each pancake on to pan. Cook on one side for 2 minutes till bubbles start on top. Flip over and cook for another two minutes. 

This is a non greasy way because the only oil you need is melted in the batter and no more than that. 

Enjoy whilst warm with condiments and fruits pictured above or any fun toppings! 

Please upload your pictures on Instagram  under #theravenousreport so I can see them! 

I love you more than cake
Kymmiisha
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment